[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Fri Mar 20 16:09:03 CET 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 10:49 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Ummm... this is not what you said initially.
>
> You said "In many mail user agents, when you press the "Reply" button
> the program will analyze the headers, determine that the post being
> replied to came from a list and offer a "Reply to List" option..."

This is the way Evolution works.

> The 'Reply-To-List' button in Thunderbird is a completely separate
> button. Also, when you click the normal 'Reply' button, it simply
> replies, it doesn't 'analyze any headers' or present you with any
> other
> options or choices... same for every other MUA I know of.

In T-bird there's a pane with message headers and action buttons below
the index and above the preview pane.  If a list message is highlighted
in the index, there's a "Reply List" button presented right next to the
"Reply" button.  If a post isn't a list post, this button is absent.
This is even simpler than what Evolution does.

If T-bird and Evolution are NOT looking at headers and offering an
appropriate list reply option, then how are they determining when to
display this button, and when not to?

I think is the "out of the box" behavior of T-bird for Linux, but I may
be misspoken on this ;)

> So, it sounds like you just sortof misspoke... ;)

Only superficially.  The point is that both of these MUAs are list-aware
and offer options appropriately.

> I don't get to use it much since I can't put it on the
> main toolbar (I do have a bug open for this)...

I don't use T-bird much at all, except as a MUA to distribute FMP's
monthly invoices and statements, and it has issues which make it
problematic for this purpose unless one is careful.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"