[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Mar 20 19:37:32 CET 2015

On 3/20/2015 11:09 AM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse at fmp.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 10:49 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> You said "In many mail user agents, when you press the "Reply" button
>> the program will analyze the headers, determine that the post being
>> replied to came from a list and offer a "Reply to List" option..."

> This is the way Evolution works.

Ok, but my point is, one MUA with a tiny user base is very far from
'many mail user agents'. So, again - looks like you mis-spoke. Not a
crime, I do it sometimes, but it is annoying when someone argues nits
just to avoid simply acknowledging a mistake.

> In T-bird there's a pane with message headers and action buttons below
> the index and above the preview pane.  If a list message is highlighted
> in the index, there's a "Reply List" button presented right next to the
> "Reply" button.  If a post isn't a list post, this button is absent.
> This is even simpler than what Evolution does.

The Reply List button is only there if you put it there, unless recent
updates have started putting it there by default (it never was before).

> If T-bird and Evolution are NOT looking at headers and offering an
> appropriate list reply option, then how are they determining when to
> display this button, and when not to?

Again, my point is this doesn't happen *when you click the REPLY button*
- you said (not implied, not hinted, you said it outright) that clicking
'the Reply button' (only the 'normal' Reply button can be inferred in
this context) initiated some kind of testing of the headers to try to
guess what kind of Reply would be most appropriate.

Are you saying that this is indeed what Evolution does? It only has one
'Reply' button  that is similar to Thunderbird 'Smart Reply' button?

> Only superficially.  The point is that both of these MUAs are list-aware
> and offer options appropriately.

No, the point is you apparently can't simply acknowledge that you
mis-spoke/made a mistake.

And in Thunderbird, nothing is 'offered' unless you take some kind of
affirmative action (like adding the 'Reply List' button to the toolbar
and understanding how it works), then, the only thing that happens is
the Reply List button is either available or not, depending on the List
headers (and it doesn't work with all lists either)...