[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Mar 21 05:17:49 CET 2015

jdd writes:
 > Le 20/03/2015 01:45, Mark Sapiro a écrit :
 >
 > > This is a major hot-button issue for me, The above is only scratching
 > > the surface.
 > >
 > smartphones makes things horrible, on android, selecting text for
 > deletion is nearly impossible :-((

This is true.

On many lists I frequent, people have changed their .sig in their
smartphone to "Sent from my <smartphone>, very sorry about the rude
quoting." :-)  But the people I respect (eg, Guido van Rossum) often
write the apology explicitly in a large minority of their smartphone
posts when they fail to trim.

OTOH, I ditched AppleMail for the Gmail app very quickly.  That makes
it very easy to nuke the quotes (just delete the ellipsis).  I write
one sentence to summarize the point I'm replying to and then what I
have to say.  (I don't do list mail from my smartphone much, though.)

I think the best solution for most replies (unless you're in Guido's
position of leadership) is to bite the bullet and wait until you're at
a terminal to post.

Steve