[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sun Mar 22 16:47:47 CET 2015

On 3/21/2015 12:55 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> If I were writing an MUA, I'd make each addressee a button which
> replies to them only.[1] For the explicit reply button, I'd
> automatically put the list-post and author in To:, provide an obvious
> delete button on each (as Gmail does), and provide an "add other
> addressees" button in Cc:.

Way too complicated for me...

I like the 'Smart Reply' button in Thunderbird (just wish I could put it
on the main toolbar), but I'd make its behavior configurable:

a) Allow the user to set a global default (ie, if List headers are
present, set default to 'Reply To List'), then make this over-ridable
somehow on a sender basis (ie, for certain lists, you could change the
default to the normal 'Reply' (to sender only)), or

b) allow the user to have it automatically show all relevant reply
options simultaneously (ie, side by side, without a drop-down selector),
ie: If List headers are available, show 'Reply' and 'Reply To List'
buttons, if List headers are available and there are multiple
recipients, show all three ('Reply', 'Reply All', and 'Reply To List')

Getting the config options and UI right for this would take a little
thought, but I think it would be doable...