[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Matthew Needham mneedham at hdfgroup.org
Mon Mar 23 16:15:34 CET 2015

> On Mar 21, 2015, at 19:52 PM, William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> wrote:
>
> On Saturday 21 March 2015, Al Black wrote:
>> Although the ideal solution is obviously users changing their behaviour
>> and or MUAs, I've wondered whether an "auto-trim" function within mailman
>> would make sense (for digest users...)
>
> Yes! For every one, not just digest users. And it should default to removing
> all but one single level of quoted text (regardless of top or bottom
> posting) and be *user* setable to none removed or all quoted text removed.

The email interface for our ticket system attempts to avoid these sorts of problems in comments by automatically stripping all quoted text. It undoubtedly could work better than it does (perhaps a more recent version does), and this situation is certainly different from a mailing list, but it has convinced me that any programmatic trimming of content is bound to cause problems for users.

Despite this, due to the preponderance of the very issues discussed in this thread, the feature is still useful and enabled.

--

Matthew Needham
mneedham at hdfgroup.org
217-531-6110