[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Mon Mar 23 19:34:03 CET 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-23 at 11:23 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> > I know of exactly one that's "proper" in this regard.  One of the
> > reasons I keep Evolution as my primary MUA is because it allows me to
> > extract a message/rfc822 part from a multipart/mixed MIME structure and
> > save it _as an email_ in the mail folder of my choice, at which point I
> > can deal with it as I wish.
> >>
> > T-bird doesn't do this, or didn't used to.
>
> As far back as I can remember, T-bird does do this. It will display all
> messages in a multipart/digest inline, but also list them as
> 'attachments' which can be opened in a separate T-bird window and/or
> saved to a file.

T-bird comes close, but no cigar.  I've tinkered with it to try to make
it do what Thomas suggested was proper (with which I agree).  T-bird
treats a message/rfc822 attachment as it would a text/plain attachment.
You can do whatever you wish with the attachment _except_ pull it into a
mail folder as a valid email.  I may be missing something, but as I say
this is my litmus test for an MUA which treats me like a technically
educated human, so I've poked at a number of different versions of it
and never been able to make it behave this way.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"