[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue Mar 24 18:38:15 CET 2015

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Thomas Gramstad wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

>> which is something many people can appreciate (at least those who
>> complain because they are interrupted in their work by too many new
>> mails arriving)
>
> How can mail "interrupt"?

I am not saying I am one of those who are so annoyed when for instance one
gets "me too" replies on an internal organization discussion list (or
simply condolences for an obituary of a colleague) ... in which case I
suggest them to use digest mode.

However mailing lists are usually a second priority to our main activity,
be they discussion or technical support ones. So while it is good to reply
asap to a person-to-person mail message, it is also good to wait to deal
with mailing list messages. This is less distracting, allows to cool down
discussions, to enforce the rule of one-post-per-day in the policy of some
mailing lists etc. etc.  ... so thanks to mailman authors for having it !

>>>  But people don't have proper MUAs, or if they do, many don't know
>>>  how to use them.
>>
>> Well, sorry, too bad for them ! :-)

>> Digest version is something the (knowledgeable) user enables in
>> the personal setting.
>
> As list owner / moderator I can decide to disable this setting,

It is surely in your power and rights :-)

> which is something many people appreciate, as it prevents hard to
> read comments on big "blobs" of text, and dysfunctional Subject:
> lines.

Usually the clueless which will reply to a digest are the same clueless
who are unable to turn it on if it is off by default, and the same
clueless unable to find a proper MUA and use it.

> As list owner / moderator I can decide to disable this setting,
> "Well, sorry, too bad for them !" :-)

Or "pity for them" :-)  ... the poor "knowledgeable users"