[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Mar 25 03:30:38 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:22:24AM +1100, Peter Shute wrote:
> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>
> > > And if html wasn't the default for so many clients.
> >
> > Don't get me started!  To the best of my knowledge, there is
> > no unified standard for HTML-ized email.  Microsoft has "Rich
> > Text", Apple has another standard.  Digests can get mucked up
>
> The default for MS Outlook seems to be HTML rather than Rich Text.

What Outlook, Hotmail etc. call "Rich Text" is in fact HTML, not to be
confused with Microsoft's interchange Rich Text Format, RTF.

There is an "Enriched Text" standard for email, which supports basic
formatting without the bulk and security implementations of HTML, but
alas nobody uses it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enriched_text

--
Steve