[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Wed Mar 25 15:28:31 CET 2015

On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 08:49 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 3/24/2015 10:30 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > What Outlook, Hotmail etc. call "Rich Text" is in fact HTML, not to be
> > confused with Microsoft's interchange Rich Text Format, RTF.
>
> And Outlook's 'HTML' is badly broken due to its reliance on the Word
> HTML rendering engine.

The Word HTML generator has to  be one of the worst WYSIWYG HTML code
generators ever published.  I've had to do manual repairs on the broken,
bloated, ugly HTML which comes out of MS Word.

> Why MS decided to change from IE to Word for the rendering engine is
> inexplicable - unless it was a bran-dead attempt to get people who just
> buy Outlook to buy the full Office suite (or at least Word too)...

You can bet that the decision, coming from MS, was based on business
considerations rather than any thought of technical merit.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"