[Mailman-Users] Importing from 2.1.12-18.el6 to 2.1.15-17.el7

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 15 21:58:49 CEST 2015

On 05/15/2015 12:28 PM, Dean Collins wrote:

> Subscribers include me at mydomain.com (the same domain the list is on) and
> various addresses from other domains/servers (a couple of servers I run,
> plus Gmail and AT&T.)
>
> Mail sent to mylist at mydomain.com from any subscriber gets archived -- and
> distributed to me at mydomain.com. But none of the other subscribers receive
> the list mail.

In order to be sure about anything, I'd need to see some logs like
Mailman's smtp-failure log and the MTA logs, except I don't know
anything about qmail.

However, based on past experience I can say the following.

1) Mailman is delivering to the local MTA (qmail) and the mail is being
delivered to local addresses but not being sent to remote domains.

2) Other locally generated mail is being sent to remote domains.

When this happens it is probably an IPv4 vs. IPv6 issue. Here's one
scenario. It may not be exactly this in your case, but you should be
able to translate.

The MTA has an idea of what addresses constitute the local network and
will relay mail from those addresses to the outside. This includes say
the IPv4 local host, something like 127.0.0.1, but not the IPv6 local
host ::1.

Mailman, by default, delivers to 'localhost'. 'localhost' in turn is
defined as the IPv6 ::1 address. Thus Mailman's mail comes to the MTA
from ::1 which is not in the MTA's notion of the local network, so the
MTA refuses to relay the mail.

This can be fixed in multiple ways. You can add the IPv6 local host to
the MTA's local network. You can change /etc/hosts to associate
127.0.0.1 rather than ::1 with 'localhost'. You can set SMTPHOST in
mm_cfg.py to something that will work. E.g.,

SMTPHOST = '127.0.0.1'

Note that since I haven't seen your logs, the above scenario may be off.
Perhaps it would be that Mailman is sending via the IPv4 loopback and
qmail wants IPv6, but the idea is the same.