[Mailman-Users] How to know if all messages were distributed

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 25 17:22:02 CEST 2015

On 05/24/2015 03:17 AM, Regis wrote:

> However, i wonder if the distribution has been complete...
>
> Indeed 72 hours after the mailing, i continue to see permanently about
> 500 messages in the queue of my messaging server (i have a linux centOS
> VPS with Qmail).

First of all, your question is a Qmail question, not a Mailman question.
>From the Mailman standpoint, when you see a message like

May 25 03:40:03 2015 (14302) <message_id smtp to list_name for nnnn
recips, completed in ttt.ttt seconds

In Mailman's 'smtp' log, Mailman has finished delivery of all messages
to Qmail. If there were any issues with delivery from Mailman to Qmail,
they will be logged in Mailman's 'smtp-failure' log.

> But what is strange is that actually some of those messages were really
> distributed : I am sure because I got return receipt emails for them !
>
> So i am confused on the total distribution of my mailing to all
> subscribers : is there a possibility so see the number of messages
> processed or not yet processed directly from the server (logs...) ?

Again, this is a Qmail question. What I suspect you're seeing is a
result of Mailman delivering non-VERPed, non-personalized messages in
chunks of up to SMTP_MAX_RCPTS recipients per SMTP transaction and Qmail
experiencing retryable errors on some of the recipients in the chunk and
delivering others.

But ask someone who knows Qmail if you want a definitive answer.