[Mailman-Users] Mailman 3: Uncaught runner exception: 'ascii' codec can't encode character

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri May 29 18:24:37 CEST 2015

Barry Warsaw writes:
 > On May 29, 2015, at 01:49 AM, casi.pw wrote:

 > >According to my mailman.log, mails with special characters (in this case
 > >"€", but also Germanic umlauts as "ö") in their bodies are shunted and
 > >not delivered.
 >
 > This looks like a legitimate bug.

It doesn't just look like one, it *is* one.  Mailman should *never*
need to shunt because of a Unicode error.

If it's a design bug, it's that Mailman isn't aware of 8-bit
Content-Transfer-Encoding.  It might be that a dain-bramaged MUA or
MTA isn't setting that header, though, and in that case you might want
to Discard, Reject, or Hold rather than deliver (depends on how
"Father Knows Best" you want to be about it).  You shouldn't need to
shunt because of body problems though.

Steve