[Mailman-Users] Mailman: postfix and/or apache on remote machines?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 31 10:20:58 CEST 2015

There's a FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/7602370> which says a bit about it.

> I'm thinking of running web server and mail server on separate virtual
> machines (separate hosts). I'd like to install mailman on one of those
> hosts or on a separate VM. Does mailman require postfix and apache on
> the same host (as mailman)? Can it use a remote mail or a remote web
> server? Configuration doesn't provide such examples but doesn't say
> clearly it is impossible...

While it is possible to have the incoming mail server and Mailman on
separate machines by using, e.g., fetchmail or NFS shared files to get
the mail to Mailman, it is better to have at least a minimal MTA on the
Mailman host, although mail can be relayed to it from a 'main' mail server.

The outgoing MTA that Mailman sends to is configured via SMTPHOST and
SMTPPORT in mm_cfg.py and can be anywhere that Mailman can talk to via
SMTP, although if it is a 'smarthost' relay, you may need to patch
Mailman to do authentication if it is not in a local network.

Mailman and the web server can be on different hosts if they share files
via NFS or if the main web server acts as a proxy for a limited web
server on the Mailman host.