[Mailman-Users] Part of moderated mails postponed to later digests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 4 11:06:58 EST 2015

On 11/04/2015 02:09 AM, Henrik Rasmussen wrote:
>> My best guess is you are triggering digests on size (Digest options -> digest_size_threshold) and either not periodically (digest_send_periodic = No) or cron/senddigests runs only weekly.
>
> To clarify, he has set digest_size_threshold to 10000 and digest_send_periodic =Yes. /usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests is run by cron every day at noon.
>
> Other digest settings is
>
> nondigestable = True
> scrub_nondigest = False
> digestable = True
> digest_is_default = 1
> mime_is_default_digest = 0
> digest_size_threshhold = 10000
> digest_send_periodic = 1
> digest_volume_frequency = 3
> discard_these_nonmembers = (241 members)
> ban_list = (188 members)
>
> The digest_size_threshhold = 10000 may likely course the problem, but is necessary as a digest containing a single mail is sent each time a mail is sent to the list-address as suggested by https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2014-August/077622.html.

That's a bug <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558274> which was
fixed in MM 2.1.16, but in any case, if you don't want digests triggered
on size and your mailman is older than 2.1.16, setting
digest_size_threshhold = 10000 (KB = 10 MB) should stop digests being
triggered on size unless your list has a lot of large graphics attached
to posts. I.e. 10MB / 100 posts is still 100KB per post.

Anyway, I understood your OP to say digests were being sent only weekly
when batches of held messages are approved. If as you say,
digest_send_periodic =Yes and /usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests is run
by cron every day at noon, even if 50 messages are approved and 30 of
them are sent immediately in a digest (triggered on size), the other 20
should be sent in a digest the next noon.

If this is not the case, either cron/senddigests is not running every
noon or it is somehow skipping this list or encountering errors with
this list. Is there anything in Mailman's error log?