[Mailman-Users] 64 bit encoding

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 4 19:55:39 EST 2015

On 11/04/2015 04:27 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Mark Sapiro writes:
>
>  > +email.Charset.add_charset('utf-8',
>  > +                          email.Charset.SHORTEST,
>  > +                          email.Charset.QP,
>  > +                          'utf-8')
>
> I don't know if this actually is available, let alone whether it would
> work (might affect headers, too, and of course elderly recipient
> systems might throw a tantrum), but how about Content-Transfer-Encoding
> of 8bit?

I did test it and it does work. I didn't think of it at the time, but
replacing the body encoding (email.Charset.QP in the above patch) with
None, i.e.

email.Charset.add_charset('utf-8',
                          email.Charset.SHORTEST,
                          None,
                          'utf-8')

also works and produces a message with

It doesn't affect headers. The arguments are character set, header
encoding, body encoding, output codec. The only thing the add_charset in
the patch changes from the default is the body encoding argument.