[Mailman-Users] Message may contain ... administrivia?

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Thu Oct 1 08:56:57 CEST 2015

In a message of Thu, 01 Oct 2015 01:35:02 -0400, Steve Matzura writes:
>Well now I've seen everything. Why would Mailman send a return message
>to a subscriber to a mailing list that says their message couldn't be
>posted to the mailing list because "message may contain
>administrivia".

If your subject contains just one of these words, or this word
followed by a reasonable number of arguments, or if the content
of your message is again, one line, one of these words, or one of them
followed by a reasonable number of arguments, then your message can
be held.

ADMINDATA = {
    # admin keyword: (minimum #args, maximum #args)
    'confirm':     (1, 1),
    'help':        (0, 0),
    'info':        (0, 0),
    'lists':       (0, 0),
    'options':     (0, 0),
    'password':    (2, 2),
    'remove':      (0, 0),
    'set':         (3, 3),
    'subscribe':   (0, 3),
    'unsubscribe': (0, 1),
    'who':         (0, 0),
    }

You can turn this off. Under general options, look for
(Administrivia filter) Check postings and intercept ones that seem to be administrative requests?

I mostly turn mine off, as I haven't found it very useful. It would be
a good idea if your list was plagued by people trying to be sophisticated
in using the list commands and mailing the list rather than list-request.
This sort of thing happens to me about once every 5 years, over the
management of a large number of lists.  It is more common for me to get
mail on lists Subject: I don't understand this error

Help <some wretched error number generated by microsoft>

I am curious -- does mailman 3 have this feature?

Laura