[Mailman-Users] Multiple "Re:" in subject

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 4 23:56:36 CEST 2015

On 10/04/2015 02:09 PM, Camille Ollié wrote:
> Le 17/09/2015 01:57, Mark Sapiro a écrit :
>>
>> In that case, please report this issue in as much detail as possible at
>> <https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/issues>. Reporting the subject
>> headers of an entire thread showing the growing string of Re: will be
>> helpful.
>>
>> Nothing I do to fix this in MM 2.1 will affect MM 3.
>>

> i've posted on gitlab but nothing more :(

We are all volunteers. No contributer to GNU Mailman is paid for their
contributions.

Your bug report is there. I have looked at the issue, but not assigned
it to me, at least not yet. Others may or may not be looking at it.
These things take time and you need to be patient.

Also, what you posted is helpful, but it would be even more help if you
could post an example of an incoming post together with the multiple Re:
outgoing post that results.

Also, information such as whether this is a rare or a frequent
occurrence, and what MUA's are responsible for generating the first post
in a thread that has the issue would be helpful.

Also, with respect to the post included in your bug report, is this the
end of a thread with a growing chain of Re: or did the initial list post
in the thread arrive with all those 'Re:', 'Fwd:' and 'RE :' things
already in it? I can see where the current code will not remove or
collapse 'RE :' or anything to the right of it, and I think I know how
to fix that, but fixing these things is non-trivial because in addition
to doing the fix, documentation and unit tests need to be updated and
tests run to ensure regressions haven't been introduced, and I don't
know if that's the only issue.