[Mailman-Users] Subscription Form Spam -- It continues . . .

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 7 17:03:36 CEST 2015

On 10/07/2015 06:16 AM, brian at emwd.com wrote:
> We keep
> seeing dozens of subscription spam coming in from gmail addresses PER
> MINUTE with the following format:
>
> kihuotter+59233527 at gmail.com
>
> We have implemented the form secret function that was introduced in
> Mailman 2.16 but it is having no effect on these particular subscription
> requests.

When these first started, enabling SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET would help, but
there were still many that delayed long enough even with
SUBSCRIBE_FORM_MIN_TIME = seconds(8) to get through. Currently, the ones
that hit mail.python.org almost always delay long enough. I just checked
the vette log and we're currently banning about 18,000 attempts per day.

See
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2015-September/079844.html>

> I remember seeing a solution from Mark Sapiro addressing this exact
> issue but I can't seem to find it again.

There are several threads on this in the archives of this list from
August and September, but the above linked post is a good summary.