[Mailman-Users] Fwd: BCC and bounces

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Oct 13 11:33:30 CEST 2015

Borja Riesgo Juan writes:

 > how can i display "undisclosed recpiets"? I remmeber that in first testing
 > i´ve got this.

I don't understand what you want to do.  My first guess is you just
want to put "undisclosed recipients" in the addressee field.  That's
easy.  You can put the string "Undisclosed recipients:;" (without the
quotes) in any address field, and your recipients will see that
string.  (If they don't, it's their MUA doing something weird.)
Technically, it is an empty address group (if there were any
addresses, they would appear between the ":" and the ";").

My second guess is you want to be able to see the addresses that
weren't disclosed.  You can't.  There aren't any.  Instead, the MTA
contacts the receiving MTA and tells it who to deliver to as a
separate command (this is often referred to as the "envelope
address").  So if you get such a message and you're not in the To: or
Cc: header, you're one of the "undisclosed recipients", but you can't
find out who any others are.  And nobody except the sender (and
anybody she tells) can find out who they are.

Note that there's no guarantee that mail was sent to *any* undisclosed
addresses.  It's just a string that is ignored by mail programs, like
a comment.

HTH

Steve