[Mailman-Users] duplicates

Marco Stoecker marco at stoecker-family.de
Wed Oct 21 23:14:04 CEST 2015

On 10/21/2015 05:56 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 10/20/2015 11:15 PM, Marco Stoecker wrote:
>>
>> No, what I was trying to say is, I have a list member which is also
>> allowed (via accept_these_nonmembers) to write to other lists but is not
>> a member of these other lists.
>> So if x at y.com sent an email to list1 at mydomain.com and to
>> list2 at mydomain.com and x at y.com is only member of list1 at mydomain.com than
>> x at y.com gets a duplicate email as well as all members of these two lists.
>

> I'm still confused. Are you saying here that someone who is a member of
> say list1 and not list2 will get two copies of the message?. If so, look
> at the complete headers of both messages. Do they both come from Mailman
> and does one of them come from list1 and one from list2?

That is exactly what I've tried to say :-)
And not only that 'someone' but also all members of list1 and list2 get
two copies (ore more).

How do I identify whether the message comes from mailman or list1 or list2?
Sorry for the questions, I'm not that experienced so far.

>> Furthermore if that email is also sent to list3 at mydomain.com, than the
>> members as well as x at y.com will receive 3 identical emails (content wise).
>> It seems to me as if mailman, when it hands over to postfix, duplicates
>> the email so many times as to so many lists the emails was sent. But
>> this is only my suggestion. I have no idea, where to look into. The
>> mailman logs and postfix logs gave me no clear picture.
>

> The Mailman 'smtp' log will have entries like

Will have I look into it and come back here