[Mailman-Users] Mailman and qmail problem

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Thu Oct 29 12:55:53 EDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-10-29 at 08:52 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 10/29/2015 06:19 AM, Abdallah Dhaou wrote:
> > I have a problem configuring mailman 2.1.18 with qmail on Debian .
> > To finish creating your mailing list, you must edit your /etc/aliases (or
> > equivalent) file by adding the following lines, and possibly running the
> > `newaliases' program:
> >
> > ## list1 mailing list
> > list1:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list1"
> > list1-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin list1"
> > list1-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces list1"
> > list1-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm list1"
> > list1-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join list1"
> > list1-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave list1"
> > list1-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner list1"
> > list1-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request list1"
> > list1-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe list1"
> > list1-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe list1"

> > My questions are the following:
> > 1- where those alias are stored ?
> > 2- is there an addional config to do with qmail ?
> > 3- why the user receive email to subscribe/unsubscribe , but the admin
> > couldn't sedn email to the list ?

There's an excellent program in Mailman's contrib folder in the source
called qmail-to-mailman.py which eliminates the need for specific
aliases as you have listed. It's been years since I used qmail but as I
recall, qmail has the ability to process a mail to a list through a
configurable program. I adapted qmail-to-mailman.py to create
courier-to-mailman (also in contrib) for the courier MTA, which is
similar to qmail in some regards, and it works perfectly.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"