[Mailman-Users] changing domains on Mailman implementation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 29 13:02:03 EDT 2015

On 10/29/2015 09:35 AM, Keith Seyffarth wrote:

> Is there an efficient way to change the domain name that mailman is
> affiliated with?
> I would like to move their mailing lists onto their domain. It looks
> like the process for this is:
> 1) get the list of subscribers
> 2) delete the mailing list from the one domain (losing the archives)
> 3) create the mailing list on the new domain
> 4) subscribe the list of subscribers
>
> This process doesn't seem too difficult, but I would prefer to keep the
> archives, if possible.

That's unduly complex and disruptive. Don't do any of that.

> Both domains are on the same server, running CentOS7 and PLESK 12.5, if
> that makes a difference.

Note: the following is for standard Mailman. Plesk may be different.

First make sure you have

add_virtualhost('their.web.domain', 'their.email.domain')

im mm_cfg.py.

Then for each affected list you run Mailman's

bin/withlist -l -r fix_url listname --urlhost=their.web.domain

That takes care of most of it, but there may be issues with delivery of
mail to Mailman. If you use Postfix with Postfix-Mailman integration for
automatic generation of aliases and virtual mappings, you probably also
want to add 'their.email.domain' to the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
list in mm_cfg.py. Then running Mailman's

bin/genaliases

is all you need. In other cases, you may need to manually update virtual
mappings. Aliases generally don't need to be changed.