[Mailman-Users] UnicodeDecodeError with Mailman 2.1 and Python 2.6

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Sep 1 18:15:33 CEST 2015

David Magda writes:

 > When I run 'bin/arch mylistname' I get the following:
 >
 > [...]
 > figuring article archives
 > 2005-October
 > /usr/local/mailman-2.1.20/Mailman/Archiver/HyperDatabase.py:176:
 > UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments
 > to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
 >  self.dict = marshal.load(fp)
 > /usr/local/mailman-2.1.20/Mailman/Archiver/HyperDatabase.py:74:
 > UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments
 > to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
 >  self.sorted.sort()
 > Updating index files for archive [2004-December]
 > [...]
 > Updating HTML for article 214
 > Pickling archive state into
 > /usr/local/mailman-2.1.20/archives/private/mylistname/pipermail.pck
 > Traceback (most recent call last):

It would appear that you have non-ASCII character in the header of the
214th message of December 2004 (or maybe it's the 214th message
overall).  That message doesn't conform to the mail standards and
should be repaired.

Since pipermail is constructing an index, I would guess that you have
a localized date header, a display name with an accented character in
it, or a subject with an accented character in it.  The character in
question is e with a caret in the Latin-1 set, I don't know if that's
the intended character set though.