[Mailman-Users] Mailing List Bounce Problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 10 18:43:34 CEST 2015

On 09/10/2015 08:19 AM, Kevin Nowaczyk via Mailman-Users wrote:
> I have it set to notify the admin (my gmail
> account) when a user is disabled, but I've never received a
> notification.

Was bounce_notify_owner_on_disable set to yes before the member's
delivery was disabled? If so, what does your postfix log say about the
notification mail to you?

> I enabled notification when a message I send to the
> list is sent out, and I receive that notification, but nobody
> receives the message.

And what does postfix say about those deliveries, assuming the member's
delivery was enabled.

Note that if you are posting from Yahoo and you don't have DMARC
mitigations enabled for your list, that is likely a reason. See the wiki
at <http://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC> and <http://wiki.list.org/x/17891458>.

> Admin emails from mailman go through just fine,
> but any message posted to the list does not. I have an IMAP email
> account on the same server which hosts the mailman instance, and it
> seems to get all my test messages that I post just fine, but all
> yahoo, windstream, gmail, etc get bounced.
>
> an example line from the /var/log/mail.info file is:
>
> Sep 10 12:49:21 bunsen postfix/smtp[4616]: 0DF621C375:
> to=<web-p6036h at mail-tester.com>,
> relay=mail-tester.com[94.23.206.89]:25, delay=2.6,
> delays=0.03/0.07/0.86/1.6, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
> mail-tester.com[94.23.206.89] said: 550 Message Contains SUSPECT
> Content :: Please contact abuse at fortressitx.com for further
> information. (in reply to end of DATA command))

So the MX at mail-tester.com is not accepting the mail because they say
the Message Contains SUSPECT Content. Only they can tell you why.

But is this a list message? If so, why is it being relayed to
mail-tester.com. What are some log messages for mail to list members
that is undeliverable?.