[Mailman-Users] Mailman and recipient spam filtering

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 7 00:17:56 EDT 2016

On 04/06/2016 07:01 PM, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> My real question is, there are two types of "permanent" (500 series)
> rejection - recipient problems and message problems. I want mailman to
> auto-unsubscribe stale addresses after 5 (bounce_score_threshold)
> bounces, but I don't want active addresses to be unsubscribed because 5
> successive viruses or spams got through a relatively quiet list but were
> rejected by the recipient's filters.
>
> I wondered if that was already handled inside mailman bounce processing,
> or is something that needs work.

Mailman does not distinguish between various types of 5xx permanent
failures. If Mailman receives a 5xx status during SMTP to the outgoing
MTA, that is recorded as a bounce. If it receives a permanent failure
DSN returned by a remote MTA, that is recorded as a bounce.

You can adjust the parameters bounce_score_threshold and
bounce_info_stale_after in Bounce Processing to try to accommodate
differences in those situations, but ultimately, Mailman doesn't
distinguish between a permanent failure for non-existent address and one
for unacceptable content.