[Mailman-Users] mail being sent from bounce list address?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 8 11:13:30 EDT 2016

On 04/08/2016 01:19 AM, Adam Morris wrote:

> Wondering why the below happens, I thought when a message is sent to a
> list it should be sent from the sender to the list name.
> In this case there is a bounce address mentioned.
>

> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 10:36 AM
> To: atug at damorris.com

It seems part of what you intended to post above is missing, but the FAQ
article at <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030534> probably addresses this.

The underlying issue is messages are sent with the envelope sender, an
address. This is so non-delivery notices (bounces) are sent to the
list's bounce processing address and not to the list itself or the
poster of the original message.

It is normally the Sender: header which is exposed by some MUAs
(Microsoft Outlook and other Microsoft products in particular) which
causes user confusion. It actually should not be necessary for Mailman
to set the Sender: as any compliant MTA will return a non-delivery
notice to the envelope sender, but not all MTAs are compliant. In recent
Mailman versions, if the site doesn't disable it, there is a  General
Options -> include_sender_header setting that can tell Mailman not to
add it's Sender: header.