[Mailman-Users] Which user is harvesting sender emails?

Bill Cole mailmanu-20150316 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Aug 19 12:38:03 EDT 2016

On 19 Aug 2016, at 11:13, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Bill Cole
> <mailmanu-20150316 at billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
>> On 19 Aug 2016, at 10:39, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>
>>> PRVS/BATV
>>

>> How is that relevant to this issue?
>
> Well it's not, it's only relevant to what you and Mark were discussing
> (modification of From:)

Ah, I see. I guess... However, BATV does NOT modify the From: header. It
only replaces a local RFC5321.MailFrom address (a.k.a. bounce address,
SMTP envelope sender, return-path) with another local address specific
to that message.

> I merely provided an example of a popular in-use modification of
> From:, because you said "Please, don't anyone do that, ever.".

My plea of prohibition only applies to replacing a RFC5322.From address
(the "From:" *header*) which is not in the local administrative domain
with some other locally-invented address which is also not in the local
administrative domain without the affirmative informed consent of the
owners of both addresses. That is particularly important in the context
of a mailing list which broadcasts the invented addresses into a space
that is known to return obnoxious mail to RFC5322.From addresses.

This is a narrowly specific and jargoned-up case of a broad general
rule:

    Don't invent and/or share addresses that belong to others without
consent.