[Mailman-Users] Subscribe Spam solution

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 5 20:42:09 EST 2016

On 12/05/2016 12:21 PM, vince at vheuser.com wrote:
> Trying to stop subscribe spam following Mark's instructions here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1082746

Why are you doing that? Do you realize that the changes suggested there
are only to allow SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET to apply to selected lists
instead of all lists.

> When activated, I get this html on the listinfo page:
>
> "Bug in Mailman version 2.1.18
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
> Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
> traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
> but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs."
>
> And this is in the error log:
>
> admin(31878):   File "/var/lib/mailman/scripts/driver", line 117, in
> run_main
> admin(31878):     main()
> admin(31878):   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py", line
> 65, in main
> admin(31878):     list_listinfo(mlist, language)
> admin(31878):   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py", line
> 198, in list_listinfo
> admin(31878):     mlist.internal_name() +
> admin(31878): TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'bool' and
> 'str'

Without more information such as the contents of lines 180 - 210 of
/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py and the contents of mm_cfg.py,
I can't say for sure, but my best guess is you've set

SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET = True

instead of setting it to a string like

SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET = "some secret unique to your site"