[Mailman-Users] Configure options not known

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:27:10 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 12/06/2016 09:21 AM, Matt Morgan wrote:
> >
> > run 'configure' with the same options you used in your previous install
> >
> > I don't know, nor does anyone else at this org, what options may have
> been
> > used to configure the 2.1.12 install. Is there a way to figure it out?
>
> You can tell what to set for --prefix and maybe --with-var-prefix if
> different by looking at where things are in your current install.

Thanks. --prefix is the standard, but there's nothing in /var apart from
mailman's crontab. What's an example of a file that I could 'locate' to
figure out what mailman is using instead of /var? Or is there another way
to determine what it is?

--with-mailhost and --with-urlhost set the values of DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
> and DEFAULT_URL_HOST respectively in Defaults.py.

Got these, thanks.

> --with-mail-gid and --with-cgi-gid ...

You can
> run strings on your existing mail/mailman and cgi-bin/* wrappers to get
> a clue if you don't know.

I tried strings on those files, and either it wasn't helpful or I am not
clueful enough in the first place to know what to look for in the output.
Can you offer any additional suggestions here? In case it's meaningful, I
don't see any unusual-looking groups in /etc/group. There is a 'mailman'
group but no users are in it. There is a 'mail' group with user 'mail' in
it.

Thank you so much for your help.

--Matt