[Mailman-Users] distutils is not available or incomplete when ./configure mailman 2.1.23?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 14 14:01:30 EST 2016

On 12/14/2016 10:33 AM, Caesar Samsi wrote:
> Ah, now it works. Would be great to see this info in the build & install
> doc/wiki.

It's in the installation manual, section 15.1, as it said in the message
you received.

>>> … checking that Python has a working distutils... configure: error:
>>>
>>> ***** Distutils is not available or is incomplete for /usr/bin/python
>>> ***** If you installed Python from RPM (or other package manager)
>>> ***** be sure to install the -devel package, or install Python
>>> ***** from source.  See sec. 15.1 of the Installation Manual for
>>> ***** details

The manual is in various formats in the doc/ subdirectory of the
directory into which you unpacked and ran ./configure. I.e.,
doc/mailman-install/index.html, doc/mailman-install.dvi,
doc/mailman-install.pdf, doc/mailman-install.ps and doc/mailman-install.txt.

It is also online. See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node48.html>
for the relevant section.