[Mailman-Users] logfiles description

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Dec 17 14:16:37 EST 2016

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 10:54:42 -0800
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 12/17/2016 10:06 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> >
> > I see logfiles in /var/log/mailman/en but it isn't obvious (or not
> > obvious enough anyway) what they all do. The wiki doesn't appear to
> > describe them, can anyone refer me?
>

> What Mailman package is this?

I'm using virtualmin pro as a site admin and mailman is implemented as
a webmin plugin. See here:

http://www.webmin.com/plugins.html

In the plugins page in Virtualmin is a config page that allows path
configuration.

> In a default source install, Mailman's log files are in
> /usr/local/mailman/logs/ or in logs/ in the 'var_prefix' directory.
>
> Some packages put them in /var/log/mailman/. I've never seen them in
> /var/log/mailman/en/.

mea culpa, not in ../en just in /var/log/mailman as you said

> The logs Mailman writes are:
>
> bounce - information related to automated bounce processing
> error - information and tracebacks from unanticipated exceptions
>         and other error info.
> fromusenet - information about the mail<->news gateway
> locks - information about lockfile anomalies
> mischief - information about unpermitted actions such as login
>            failures for lists with private rosters as these can
>            be attempts to fish for list membership.
> post - information about delivered posts
> qrunner - qrunner start/stop and other status messages
> smtp - all Mailman's outgoing smtp sessions
> smtp-failure - failed outgoing smtp transactions
> subscribe - information about (un)subscriptions
> vette - information about things held for moderator approval
>         and other similar events.
>
> I just added <https://wiki.list.org/x/17892009> to the wiki with this
> info.

good, thanks!

Reporter to Mahatma Ghandi after his tour of east London
"What do you think of western civilization, Mr. Ghandi?"
Ghandi - "I think it would be an excellent idea!"