[Mailman-Users] Linux packages vs source install?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 29 12:22:19 EST 2016

On 12/29/2016 08:51 AM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

> I realize this wasn't part of your question, but-
>
> On 12/29/2016 8:16 AM, Jay Sekora wrote:
>> The old server is running Debian and Mailman 2.1.13 (from the Debian
>> package).  The new server is running Ubuntu and Mailman 2.1.16 (from the
>> Ubuntu Trusty package; we need to run Trusty for now for complex and
>> uninteresting reasons; I'd rather run 2.1.18, and may look into running
>> that on Trusty once I get the basic migration issues resolved).
>
> Install 2.1.23 from source? I seems like most linux packages are older
> versions (and the list archive has many questions about them). I assume
> there are reasons, but I'm not that deep into linux to know what they are.

I agree with Carl that installing Mailman from source is almost always
the best option (of course *I* would), but I understand the appeal of
packages and as I have posted before, there is a 2.1.23 Ubuntu package
at <http://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/mailman> and Debian at
<https://packages.debian.org/stretch/mailman>.