[Mailman-Users] Mailman on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS: Forbidden You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/mailman/admin/mailman on this server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 4 12:14:31 EST 2016

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/12812344>.

> When I try to access the Mailman website, I receive this message:
>
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/mailman/admin/mailman on this server.
>
> I receive this message trying to access either of these pages:
>
> http://server/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/mailman

> I can access the Apache web page on "server."  Just not the Mailman pages.
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix this?

It would help if you posted the information about this from the apache
error log, but I think the issue is Ubuntu's Apache package doesn't
enable mod-cgi by default.

Check /etc/apache2/mods-enabled. There should be a symlink

cgi.load -> ../mods-available/cgi.load

If it's not there, do

cd /etc/apache2/mods-enabled
ln -s ../mods-available/cgi.load cgi.load