[Mailman-Users] Users complain, they don't receive mails from the list

Larry Turnbull larry at acbradio.org
Sun Feb 14 08:37:28 EST 2016

This is definitely a blacklist issue.

When you see the message  "the server refused to talk to me" it means that
the ip address where the mailman messages are coming from is on their
blacklist.

To resolve this the host provider where the mailman list in question resides
needs to contact the internet service provider that is blocking the message
and work with them to get them to lift the block.

I have had to do this many times with different internet service providers.

Each provider has a different process that you have to go through to get the
block lifted.

Most of them, the administrator of the mailman host provider has to fill out
a form online to explain that they are not a spammer.

I am the server administrator for an organization known as the American
Council of the blind and I ended up routing our smtp services through a
service called mandrill which is put out by Mail Chimp.

This put an end to the constant problem of internet service providers
blacklisting our servers since we have a lot of mailman lists.

I also recommend the munge from option because many host providers such as
yahoo have a DMarc policy in place that will cause bounce messages to occur
often.

Hope that helps.

Larry Turnbull
ACB Radio Managing Director and ACB Server Administrator