[Mailman-Users] Which is most popular: <mailto:listname at lists.domain.tld> OR <mailto:listname at domain.td>?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 14 11:21:43 EST 2016

On 02/14/2016 05:23 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> In my old MM 2 lists I used the second form (without "lists") and I
> still want to use that form with MM 3.
>
> Are there any reasons why I shouldn't use the second form?

No.

> In my opinion, the second form may be easier for inexperienced mailing
> list users, but, on the other hand, the first form makes it a bit
> clearer that the addressee is a list, not an individual.

What you say is valid, and is perhaps something to think about, but
doesn't clearly argue for one over the other.

The lists.domain.tld form is used by default in the Debian/Ubuntu
Mailman package, I think in large part because Debian likes
postfix_to_mailman.py delivery to Mailman and that delivery requires all
lists to be in a dedicated domain that has no non-list addresses. See
<http://wiki.list.org/x/15564817> and the links in the last paragraph
thereof for my opinion of postfix_to_mailman.py.

> Another factor may be the actual list name, e.g.,
>
>   grads-list at mycollege.org
>
> versus
>
>   grads at mycollege.org
>
> or other forms of a list name.

I think that's a matter of taste. Personally, I think
grads at mycollege.org is descriptive and grads-list at mycollege.org is
redundant, but as I say, it's a matter of taste and there's no arguing
with taste.