[Mailman-Users] No confirmation e-mails even “Receive acknowledgement mail when you send mail to the list?” has been set to “Yes”

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 15 10:04:38 EST 2016

On 02/15/2016 12:45 AM, Henrik Rasmussen wrote:

> I found some documentation on how to achieve this<http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node24.html>*) and I tried it on my test list, which have two members: My corporate mail and my private Gmail account. My corporate e-mail is owner if the list, both are subscribed to the list as moderated member, and both members have set “Receive acknowledgement mail when you send mail to the list?” to “Yes” at http://mailman.foo/roster/mylist.
>
> But I do not seem to receive any confirmation e-mails to any of the e-mail addresses, once I have approved the mails and they have been sent to the members, neither last Friday nor today.
>
> post
> Feb 15 09:17:02 2016 (2440) post to mylist from Henrik Rasmussen <corporatemail at example.com> anonymized
> Feb 15 09:17:02 2016 (2442) post to mylist from mylist at mailman.foo, size=12028, message-id=<6DCC3E5DA06FE346B4DE4876C4F2713D01668845EA at Mymailserver@foo.bar>, success
> Feb 15 09:23:08 2016 (2440) post to mylist from Henrik Rasmussen <privatemail at gmail.com> anonymized
> Feb 15 09:23:09 2016 (2442) post to mylist from mylist at mailman.foo, size=4122, message-id=<CAGfPFBwYO-fE-fB8S4nCoAF1j6ztAS9vbcu9-UbO131dsmsu=g at mail.gmail.com>, success

The user option “Receive acknowledgement mail when you send mail to the
list?” does not work with anonymous lists because at the time we decide
to send the acknowledgement, all trace of who sent the mail has been
removed. That is why the second of the pair of entries in the post log
has the list address rather than your address.

If you set your list's General Options -> anonymous_list to No, the
poster should receive requested acknowledgements.

This could be considered a bug. If you report it at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+filebug>, I'll fix it.