[Mailman-Users] e-mails being kind of blackholed when sent to list or list-robot

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Tue Feb 23 15:53:22 EST 2016

On 02/20/2016 02:42 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 2/20/16 6:06 AM, Fernando Gont wrote:
>>
>> Meta answer: quite to my surprise, the problem was that mailman wasn't
>> running. Apparently the reason was that, when the system was rebooted,
>> mailman failed to start because there was no mailman@ list. Once I
>> created it, the problem was solved. (is this list really needed?)
>

> Yes, it is needed. It is the sender of various notices including monthly
> password reminders an the recipient of bounces thereof.

Why do yu actually need a *list* for sending such info?

> It is also
> exposed on the web admin and listinfo overview pages as a 'help' address
> and depending on config may receive error notices from Mailman's cron
> jobs. As such, it should have the Mailman admins as members and accept
> non-member posts.

I guess that when you lists get created, the corresponding admins get
added to such list?

Besides, it seems I'm receiving tons of spam messages on that this. Is
post from not subscribers actually needed? What kind of info is sent to
all list-admins?

>> More comments in-line...
>>>
>>> Do the actual entries contain things like
>>>
>>> status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request
>>> ipv6hackers)
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post
>>> ipv6hackers)
>>>
>>> Or do they perhaps say
>>>
>>> status=sent (delivered via mailman service)
>>
>> The later.
>

> In which case, you are using postfix_to_mailman.py delivery, but you
> also have hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases in alias_maps in Postfix
> and MTA='Postfix' uncommented in mm_cfg.py

I fixed the config as you suggested. Any clues what could possibly go
wrong with the bad settings I had?

>> I thought that the emails had been lost, but when I was finally able to
>> start mailman, it turned out they wasn't. -- I assume postfix coudln't
>> really handle the mails to mailman, and hence queued them?
>

> Not exactly. Postfix delivered the mail via postfix_to_mailman.py and it
> queued the mail in Mailman's in/ queue where it waited for
> IncomingRunner to process it. When you started Mailman (actually the
> qrunners), IncomingRunner processed the mail.
>
> Also note, steps 2.2 and 6.2 in the FAQ at
> <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030723> would have pointed you to the problem.

Yep, I was able to solve the problem when I found this. (the FAQ made me
realize "mailman wasn't running", and then, when running mailmanctl I
found why).

Thanks!

Best regards,
--