[Mailman-Users] Bounce email going to list server admin not list owner...

Wed Feb 24 17:25:22 EST 2016

Didn't have luck researching this question.  I (the list server admin)
recently received the following bounce notice:

> From Joe.Anybody at example.edu Wed Feb 24 15:55:18 2016
> From: "Anybody, Joe" <Joe.Anybody at example.edu>
> To: Xyz.Forum <mailman-bounces at lists.example.edu>
> Subject: Automatic reply: Added to the list
> Sender: "Mailman" <mailman-loop at lists.example.edu>
> Subject: Automatic reply: Added to the list
>
> I am out of the office...

I don't understand why this bounce went to the server admin list...

     mailman-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"

and not the bounce address for the specific list involved...

     xyz.forum-bounces: |"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces xyz.forum"

It is apparent from the "To:" that the name of the list involved was
known.  I did a dump of the "Xyz.Forum" list's config for what appear
to be the relevant parameters:

     bounce_processing = True
     bounce_score_threshold = 5.0
     bounce_info_stale_after = 7
     bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings = 3
     bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval = 7
     bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner = True
     bounce_notify_owner_on_bounce_increment = 1
     bounce_notify_owner_on_disable = True
     bounce_notify_owner_on_removal = True

And I searched the logs for entries specific to this list and/or this
particular subscriber:

     subscribe:Jan 29 08:51:54 2016 (22963) xyz.forum: pending Joe Anybody <joe.anybody at example.edu>  rl-cz364x1.ad.example.edu

     subscribe:Jan 29 08:54:30 2016 (23022) xyz.forum: new Joe Anybody <joe.anybody at example.edu>, via admin approval

There is nothing in the `bounce` itself log that appears to be related
to either.

I don't mind getting bounces where a specific list is unknown, but
list specific bounces really need to go to the list owner.  We have
far too many lists to do otherwise.

    - Using Mailman version: 2.1.20
    - Python 2.4.3 (#1, Oct 23 2012, 22:02:41)
    - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.11 (Tikanga)

--
                                   Cordially,