[Mailman-Users] Config dump? - WAS Re: speed up mailman

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Feb 29 02:12:15 EST 2016

On 2/28/2016 10:53 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 02/29/2016 01:42 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> dig  gnutelephony.org
>
> that does hang.  These are OLD mailing lists and it is hard to be
> responsible for 20 years of DNS errors by organizations I have no
> control over.

I think that may be the crux of your problem. If half a list of 500 is
addresses that timeout instead of being immediately rejected, well, 30
seconds each times 250 timeouts equals 2 hours wasted.

I would run through the logs to find all the domains that are timing out on
dns, then mark the recipients on those domains as "no mail". After that, see
how delivery goes for the rest of them. Besides, why keep users on the list
than don't exist or actually get delivery?

Oh, and -nothing- involved in email handling is "real time", which has a
fairly specific meaning in computing. *All* email is queued at least a
couple of times along the way and delivered as those systems get around to
it. Often that's within seconds, but not always. I'm on some lists with 100s
of users, and it's not uncommon for a message to take an hour to get to
everyone.

z!