[Mailman-Users] Config dump? - WAS Re: speed up mailman

Keith Seyffarth weif at weif.net
Mon Feb 29 10:44:42 EST 2016

<snip>

> I would run through the logs to find all the domains that are timing out on
> dns, then mark the recipients on those domains as "no mail". After that, see
> how delivery goes for the rest of them. Besides, why keep users on the list
> than don't exist or actually get delivery?

Shouldn't mailman (or any good mailing list server) be automatically
removing bouncing addresses? I can see that if the old mailing lists
weren't that advanced that you could have 20 years of buildup of bad
addresses, but shouldn't mailman have unsubscribed these addresses after
6 months of bouncing? I know on the several mailing lists I administer
that bad addresses get auto-unsubscribed.

And, if there are that many bad/bouncing addresses on the list in
question, how many honeypots are out there flagging this sender as a bad
sender and harming the listserv, or possibly the whole domain or IP as
being a problem sender?

> Oh, and -nothing- involved in email handling is "real time", which has a
> fairly specific meaning in computing. *All* email is queued at least a
> couple of times along the way and delivered as those systems get around to
> it. Often that's within seconds, but not always. I'm on some lists with 100s
> of users, and it's not uncommon for a message to take an hour to get to
> everyone.

Definitely. It is important for people who are using email at all
professionally to understand that email delivery is *NOT* instantaneous
despite appearances. And that email delivery regularly takes a few
minutes to an hour, but can, under absolutely normal circumstances, take
3 or 4 days. And that the US Government has legislation that defines
normal email delivery to be within 30 days (yes, a whole month)...

--
----
from my mac to yours...

Keith Seyffarth