[Mailman-Users] Encoding problem with 2.15 to 2.18 upgrade with Finnish

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Thu Jan 7 16:39:59 EST 2016

On 1/7/2016 2:40 PM, Eva Isaksson wrote:
> 2016-01-07 22:12 GMT+02:00 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
> On 01/07/2016 11:44 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> I think simply re-entering the description and saving changes will fix
>> this, but you should probably go through the entire web admin UI and do
>> the same for any other non-ascii strings.
> Am I right in thinking that this option would mean choosing the debian utf-8
> alternative? We have some 750 lists, so checking all of them would have to
> happen outside the web admin UI, i.e. from command line.
>> You could install Mailman from source. See the FAQ at
>> <http://wiki.list.org/x/17891606> for info.
> Does this allow for keeping all the settings and passwords from the old
> package
> installation intact? The number of lists is so big that I want to be on the
> safe
> side.
> - Eva Isaksson

I have posted this before, and I will post it again.  When I was an
administrator for a Mailman system running on Ubuntu, I decided
that the Debian package had problems.  Besides having patches that
were undocumented, there was one patch that reomoved a library that
sometimes was needed.  So I figured out how to create a Mailman
package from the SourceForge source.  The last Mailman package
I built was 2.1.15; I assume that the same process would work
for the latest Mailman.  What I did is available to anyone who
wants it; send me a private e-mail to get the output from
"script" of the session when I built the last package.  The only
Debian patch I kept was one that placed libraries in the proper
directories for Debian/Ubuntu.

--Barry Finkel

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list