[Mailman-Users] Reply-To-List Header

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 9 13:36:37 EST 2016

On 01/09/2016 06:14 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> On some mailman lists I receive messages in which Thunderbird displays a
> "Reply to List" button. However, on my own lists that does not happen.
> What header is TB relying on to get that and what setting do I need to
> change my mailman for that to happen? TIA.

Thunderbird and many other MUAs rely on the RFC 2369 List-Post: header
for "reply to list". There are six RFC 2369 List-* headers; List-Id:,
List-Unsubscribe:, List-Archive:, List-Post:, List-Help: and
List-Subscribe:. Mailman's adding of these headers is controlled by the
lists General Options include_rfc2369_headers and
include_list_post_header settings.

If include_rfc2369_headers is No, none of these headers will be added.
If include_rfc2369_headers is Yes, List-Post: will be added only if
include_list_post_header is Yes, List-Archive will be added only if the
list is archiving and the other four will be added.

So to ensure posts received from the list have a List-Post header, both
include_rfc2369_headers and include_list_post_header must be Yes.

Also note that if your "Avoid duplicate copies of messages?" setting on
a list is Yes and you are directly addressed in a reply, the copy you
receive doesn't come from the list and won't have any Mailman headers.