[Mailman-Users] Users complain, they don't receive mails from the list

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jan 25 21:45:15 EST 2016

At Tue, 26 Jan 2016 01:27:24 +0100 Sascha Rissel <mailman at rissel.it> wrote:

> Dear Mark and all others,
>
> many thanks for your help so far.
> I am just starting to setup this subdomain, Mark advised me to.
>
> One thing regarding the Reverse DNS entry:
> How can it be necessary, to set up this record? Just imagine a server,
> where multiple domains are hosted, but the server only has one IP.
> If the ISPs really require rDNS entries, which suit to the mail originating
> domain, one would always need a 1:1 mapping of IP and domain, preventing
> multiple domains on a one-IP server, isn't it?

You just need one 'real' canonical domain name, like lists.rc-worms.de, and
have a rDNS PTR to lists.rc-worms.de. It does not really matter if there is a
foo-list at foobar.com hosted there. What is being objected to is the
name<number>.hosting-provider.tld type of name, as well as things like a HELO
that does not match, and such. It has the look-and-feel of a spammer sending
anonymous E-Mails or E-Mails with forged / spoofed addresses (including
spoofed HELO's). Also the list server's MTA should be using the
lists.rc-worms.de name in the HELO. And you probably should also have
a spf record as well. Everything should 'match': the A record, the rDNS PTR
record, the HELO name used, the SPF record, etc. That makes everything look
legit and everything fits together.

> Kind regards,
> Sascha.

> > On 01/25/2016 03:27 PM, Sascha Rissel wrote:
> > > Hi Mark!

> > > this is all pretty correct.
> > >
> > > "euve51864.serverprofi24.de" is the natural name of the vServer, I am
> > > running.
> > > I don't have a real domain configured, since I mainly just use it for
> > > mailman.
> >

> > As I indicated in a follow-up post web.de is apparently not allowing
> > 'generic' domains any more.
> >

> > > I configured all Mailman lists to use something like <list name>@
> > rc-worms.de,
> > > where <rc-worms.de> is the www domain of my sports club, whose
> > > administrator I am.
> > > For better readability I named and configured all lists this way, to use
> > <
> > > members at rc-worms.de>, <team1 at rc-worms.de> as exlicity reply-to address
> > and
> > > so on.
> > >
> > > This worked pretty well for years.
> > > Did it now turn into a problem, that reply-to address and domain () bear
> > > different IP/rDNS result?
> >

> > That is not the problem as far as I can tell. The problem is that the
> > specific domain you are using for your mail server,
> > euve51864.serverprofi24.de, is now seen as a 'generic' name and is not
> > acceptable to web.de.
> >

> > > Is there something you could suggest in this case?
> > >
> > > Should I maybe configure a subdomain on my vServer, like <
> > lists.rc-worms.de>,
> > > from which the mails will be send from and can bear own DNS config?
> >

> > Yes. lists.rc-worms.de should be good. I would have suggested just
> > rc-worms.de, but that already has an A record pointing to a different
> > server.
> >
> > The issue you will run into is that while you can configure the MTA to
> > identify itself as lists.rc-worms.de and you can create the A record for
> > it, you don't control the rDNS PTR record for 62.75.175.182. That's
> > controlled by intergenia.de. It may be no problem to get them to change
> > it, but it could be a stumbling block. You'll find out when you ask.
> >
> > With respect to the underlying issue here, ISPs are getting more and
> > more fussy about only accepting mail from what they consider to be real
> > mail servers. Trying to run a mail server with a dynamic IP or an IP
> > with a 'generic' host name is just not possible if you want reliable
> > acceptance of your mail.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
> > San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933