[Mailman-Users] Mailman installation does not work

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 7 18:03:28 EDT 2016

On 7/7/16 11:02 AM, Bob wrote:

> On 2016-07-07 10:02 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> On 7/6/16 10:38 AM, Bob Lydiate wrote:
>>
>>> When I try to access the web interface, I am asked if I want to open
>>> a file
>>> called 'admin' instead of opening a webpage called admin.
>>
>> This is an issue with your Apache config. See
>> <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node10.html>.
>>

> I have done what this page says as far as I can tell and it still
> doesn't serve up a webpage. What I have in
> '/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mailman.conf' is
>
>      <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/>
>         AllowOverride None
>         Options ExecCGI
>         AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
>         Require all granted
>    </Directory>
>    <Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/>
>         Options FollowSymlinks
>         AllowOverride None
>         Require all granted
>    </Directory>
>    <Directory /usr/share/images/mailman/>
>         AllowOverride None
>         Require all granted
>    </Directory>

Plus more below...

>>> I did alter the config setup to have mydomain.ca rather than
>>> lists.mydomain.ca, but that is the only change I made to the config
>>> as it
>>> came through.
>>
>> What exactly did you change?
> from /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'faithwalk.ca'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'faithwalk.ca'
>
> and from /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mailman.conf
> <VirtualHost *>
> ServerName faithwalk.ca
> DocumentRoot /var/www/
> ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/lists-error.log
> CustomLog /var/log/apache2/lists-access.log combined
>
> <Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/>
>     Options FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
> Alias /images/mailman/ /usr/share/images/mailman/
> ScriptAlias /admin /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/admin
> ScriptAlias /admindb /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/admindb
> ScriptAlias /confirm /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/confirm
> ScriptAlias /create /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/create
> ScriptAlias /edithtml /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/edithtml
> ScriptAlias /listinfo /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo
> ScriptAlias /options /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/options
> ScriptAlias /private /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/private
> ScriptAlias /rmlist /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/rmlist
> ScriptAlias /roster /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/roster
> ScriptAlias /subscribe /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/subscribe
> ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/
> </VirtualHost>

Your Apache config looks OK. Have you enabled mod_cgi?

> The things that I am searching out are the things mentioned above plus
> mail not being delivered through the list. I am pretty focused on
> figuring out the web interface problem first as it was the first problem
> I noticed. I have figured out that mailman is working, I can create
> lists and add members through the command line, but the list mail is not
> getting delivered. The mail log says it was sent, but I do not receive
> it on any of the addresses I added to my testlist.

See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030723>.

Also, when you say "The mail log says it was sent" do you mean you see
entries in /var/log/mail.log saying the mail to a final recipient was
successfully delivered to that recipient's MX. If so, the problem is
between that MX and the final recipient's mailbox. If that's not what
you mean, what is in the mail.log?