[Mailman-Users] searchable archive options for cpanel server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 14 15:30:12 EDT 2016

On 07/14/2016 12:07 PM, Jason Fayre wrote:

> We have a server running cPanel that hosts around 200 mailing lists. We
> really want to have searchable archives. If I install the mailman htdig
> patches, cPanel won't support us.

And what Mailman support do you currently get from cPanel that you'd be
giving up? Or do you mean that if you patch any piece, they won't
support anything including stuff you haven't touched?

> Other than not using cPanel, what are other folks doing:? I know we have the
> option of using mailarchive.org, but we would like to keep the archives
> internal if possible.

If by 'internal' you mean private as opposed to public you are fairly
limited. For public archives, you can use the site: and inurl: Google
search options, e.g. add site:mail.python.org inurl:mailman-users to
your Google search terms to search this list. See
<https://wiki.list.org/x/4030514>.

You can install local search engines such as htdig on your server
without the htdig integration patches. The search form would be a
non-Mailman web page rather than being integrated with Mailman's archive
pages, but you wouldn't need to patch Mailman.