[Mailman-Users] Configuration Challenge with Apache and Mailman on OS X Server

Timothy Jasionowski timothyj at postpartisan.com
Tue Jun 7 17:16:20 EDT 2016

Hello!

Long time, happy mailman administration, first time poster.

The last implementation I did of mailman was on OS X 10.9 Server and it went relatively well, but my current attempt at implementing it on a box to replace it running OS X 10.11.5/Server 5.x has driven me batty, specifically related to the .cgi prefix presentation in the URI.

On the previous implementation of 2.1.15, the URI would be constructed as:

https://server.domain.tld/mailman/admin/mailing_list/members/add

However, in trying to update my implementation of 2.1.22 in the new server, I’m getting:

https://server.domain.tld/mailman/admin.cgi/mailing_list/members/add

In the initial implementation, I was using a ScriptAlias to direct mailman to the folder, but no rewriting rules.

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/libexec/mailman/cgi-bin/"

In the new implementation, I’m using an config Include file in the apache configuration, as suggested by MacPorts:

	Include /opt/local/etc/httpd/mailman.conf

Which reads:

# Mailman configuration file fragment for Apache

<IfModule mod_alias.c>
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/opt/local/libexec/mailman/cgi-bin/"
    Alias /pipermail/ "/opt/local/var/mailman/archives/public/"
    Alias /mailman-icons/ "/opt/local/share/mailman/icons/"
</IfModule>

<Directory "/opt/local/libexec/mailman/cgi-bin">
    Options Indexes Includes MultiViews SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "/opt/local/share/mailman/icons">
        Options none
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "/opt/local/var/mailman/archives/public/">
    Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

I’ve read the wikis and the Apache documentation and, have fiddled with the CGIEXT setting in Defaults.py, which currently reads

# CGI extension, change using configure script
CGIEXT = '.cgi'

I have changed it to ‘’ with no success.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Timothy