[Mailman-Users] Wrong encoding in moderation request mails with Mailman 2.1.15

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 9 12:37:16 EDT 2016

On 6/8/16 8:19 AM, Peter Heitzer wrote:
> If a mail held for moderation has a subject encoded in UTF-8 the subject is not correctly displayed in the mail to the moderator and in the
> web interface. This is not a big issue but I nevertheless want to mention it.
> Do newer 2.x versions still have this behavior or is it already fixed?

I'm not sure what you are saying.

Suppose we have a message with

Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Try_this_=C4=93?=

Are you saying the subject is displayed literally as

=?utf-8?Q?Try_this_=C4=93?=

or are you saying it is displayed as

Try this ?

If the former, it's a bug, but I don't see that in current Mailman 2.1.22+

If the latter, that's the expected behavior because the character (ē)
doesn't exist in the character set of the list's preferred language.
Both the admindb web pages and the notice to the admin are encoded in
the character set of the list's preferred language. For English, that is
us-ascii, so non-ascii characters can't be displayed.