[Mailman-Users] Configuring 'example.org' as virtual host on localhost

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 14 15:17:30 EDT 2016

On 06/14/2016 11:00 AM, John Poltorak wrote:
> Can someone explain what I need to do to properly set up Mailman and Apache
> so that I can browse to *http://example.org/mailman
> <http://example.org/mailman>* ?
>
> As far as Mailman is concerned I think I only need to edit mm_cfg.py
>
> I'm not sure about Apache... Also I guess I need to include an entry in the
> hosts file to point exampl.org at localhost

In Apache, you need within the VirtualHost block for example.com or in a
global section

ScriptAlias /mailman/       /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/

<Directory "/path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/">
    Options ExecCGI
    Require all granted
</Directory>

RedirectMatch ^/mailman[/]*$   /mailman/listinfo

These are for Apache 2.4. For 2.2 and earlier, instead of

    Require all granted

you need

    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node10.html>.

If you ereally mean literally 'example.org' you can't access that from
outside your local network. Putting an entry in /etc/hosts will work for
the local machine (only).

If example.org is an example, what you need is an A record in DNS for
the domain.