[Mailman-Users] Our list serv host is threatening to shut us down for spam abuse

Fri Jun 17 13:36:30 EDT 2016

On 6/16/16 7:04 PM, Jim Dory wrote:
> So, anyone recommend more list-serv friendly hosts?
>
> /jim
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Jim Dory <james at dorydesign.com> wrote:
>
>> We have a community list-serv for local trade and community announcements
>> with a subscriber base of nearly 2200 people. Our police and city use it
>> for public service announcements, people use it for selling/trading
>> virtually anything (seal oil, outboards, guns, blue berries, you name it)
>> and is by subscription only.
>>
>> If someone is not a member, they cannot post. When a member posts, it goes
>> to all others subscribers.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to answer this:

I run a community mailing list of 6400 subscribers on Pair, and do not
have this issue. I do have a number of filters setup to catch most of
the spam that tries to get to the list. I have also used ezoshosting for
some smaller lists.

Is your current hosting provider directly supporting mailman, or is it
just that they let your run it? A hosting service that doesn't
specifically understand mailing list is much more likely to get you in
trouble.

Also, how responsive are you to subscribers asking for help
unsubscribing? If your list is anything like mine, a number of
subscribers get help from a friend to get on the list, and then when
they want off, they don't know what to do. If they don't know you will
be helpful in getting them off the list, some will "unsubscribe" by
marking the list as spam and thus they don't see the messages, and you
will get into this sort of trouble.

--
Richard Damon