[Mailman-Users] Mailman without localhost ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Mar 13 18:44:12 EDT 2016

On 03/13/2016 01:44 PM, kapuzino at web.de wrote:

> The new operator of my hosting decided to remove localhost from whitelist in plesk outbound filter to prevent spam and blacklisting.
> Anybody knows any chance to use mailman another way ?

There are a couple of possibilities.

> MM is still installed (v2.1.18), but recently only woks delivering to server-internal adresses.
> The service guy said, there might by a chance using smtp auth.
>
> I have no access to mm_cfg.py of my own, but perheaps the service assistant will do the job, if I give him information.
> (have a low price hosting)

Mailman has two settings for the outgoing mail server that can be
overridden in mm_cfg.py. The default settings are

SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
SMTPPORT = 0    # 0 means use the smtplib default which is 25

These are for outgoing mail from Mailman only. They have nothing to do
with delivery of mail TO mailman. You can tell Mailman to connect to any
SMTP server and port by setting SMTPHOST to the fully qualified name of
the server and/or SMTPPORT to the port.

If the host operator will perhaps set up and allow an alternative port
for you to use without authentication, then Mailman can simply be
configured to use that port.

If that isn't an option, but you can use an alternate port such as 465
or 587  that may require TLS and/or authentication, you can set SMTPPORT
to that value, but you (or the host admin) will have to patch Mailman's
SMTPDirect.py module to provide the authentication. You can find a patch
for this at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558281>.